Pages

Thursday, April 23, 2015

Hot Fudge Sundae Cupcakes

Did I mention once that I love books, espcially cookbooks? I love them! If I had the space I would own as many as I could and have my kitchen surrounded by bookshelves filled with them.

This cupcake funnily enough starts at our Public Library. They always have a bunch of books out front for sale and I usually just lightly browse through them without much thought. But last week my eyes ran across something that got me really excited....

Best of the Best from the editors of Food & Wine Magazine (one of my favorites)
the best recipes from the 25 best cookbooks of the year

How could I resist? It has recipes from all kinds of well loved chefs like Ina Garten, Jamie Oliver, Giada De Laurentiis and .... John Scharffenberger (you know, like the chocolate). And guess what? I only paid $3.00 for it. What a bargain!

Here is a quick peek at the finished product.




The actual cake part is deliciously moist and flavorful. It's topped with a simple vanilla buttercream, hot fudge, sprinkles, whipped cream and a cherry on top of course! Doesn't it look amazing!

The original idea for the hot fudge part came from here: Crazy Little Projects Blog.

However she uses a box mix in her recipe and since I had just purchased my new wonderful cookbook with a recipe in it called That Chocolate Cake, you see I had no choice but to work from scratch. Who wouldn't want to try a recipe with that title?

I mean, look at all that chocolatey goodness baking up in the oven. I wish you could smell my kitchen through this picture. It was very hard to wait for them to bake and cool before digging in.



My book says the original cookbook it came from was called The Essence of Chocolate by John Scharffenberger & Robert Steinberg with Ann Krueger Spivack and Susie Heller. If I happen to see that one lying around at the library, I'm definitely picking it up.

It says this is one of those recipes that have been handed down and handed down and so forth. And I can see why. One of my favorite things about this recipe is that it uses cocoa powder instead melting chocolate. I don't always have chocolate on hand to melt, but I always have cocoa powder. My other favorite thing is it doesn't ask for coffee to be included. Most scratch recipes use coffee to bring out the chocolate flavor in the cake. I'm not a huge fan.

I always have to package up and share my new creations with others. This time it happened to be some of my church family as you can see below. I hope they enjoyed them as much I did making them.


They were a little messy to eat but delicious and look like a party. These are simple to make and a lot of fun to share with others. Enjoy the recipe below.

*Note* The recipe below is for a 9in round cake. I did cupcakes. Prepare it the same for whatever pan  you use and simply adjust your cooking time.

Blessings.
Pamela

That Chocolate Cake

Ingredients:

2 c. granulated sugar
1 3/4 c. all purpose flour
3/4 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 c. canola oil
1 c. whole milk
1 c. boiling water

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare your pan by covering bottom with parchment paper or lightly butter and flour bottom.

In a large bowl, combine the sugar, flour, cocoa, salt, baking powder, and baking soda, mixing on low speed. Mix in the eggs, oil and milk.

Increase the speed to medium and beat for 2 minutes. Reduce the speed to low and mix in the water. The batter will be soupy.

Divide the batter evenly between your pans. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.

Remove from the oven cool on rack for 10 minutes and then turn out onto rack to cool completely.

When cake has cooled completely, frost as desired.

**For the Hot Fudge Sundae Cupcakes you see above, top with a vanilla frosting and stick into freezer while you melt some hot fudge. If you don't stick them in the freezer, the frosting will melt when you top it with the fudge. Drizzle a small amount of fudge on top, and sprinkle with some colorful sprinkles. Spray a small amount of whipped cream on top and place a cherry on top. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment