Pages

Saturday, January 31, 2015

Grain Free Chewy Brownies

Have you heard of the Daniel Plan? It's a faith based lifestyle change that I started recently. I got the book from the library and read it through in about a week. The basic principles are Faith, Food, Fitness, Focus and Friends. It's suggested that you start with the Daniel Detox, which says to go gluten free and dairy free from ten to 40 days. I went a little bit further and decided to do grain free, which means no quinoa, brown rice, etc. It's been a pretty great experience so far except I do miss my baking. I decided to do some research and it says I can eat coconut flour and almond flour. Yippee! I looked into it and coconut flour is cheaper than almond flour so there's where we begin.

I couldn't find a coconut flour recipe that I really liked for brownies so I decided to make my own.  I started with one of my favorite recipes that I've had for quite some time. It comes from Fine Cooking magazine 2010 edition.

 
 
This magazine has all kinds of delicious chocolate goodies in it. If you can get your hands on it, I would highly suggest it. I've made about half of the recipes in there and they're all good.
 
It took a few tries but I think I figured it out. Put on your favorite Pandora station. Mine is the Contemporary Christian radio or one I've made myself with some of my favorite artists like Ellie Holcomb, Mandisa, Britt Nicole and Jamie Grace. There's nothing like listening to your favorite uplifting tunes and baking something for someone you love. It really lifts my spirits!
 

Here is our finished product.
 
These brownies are made with cocoa powder, which is even better because everyone has that in their cupboards, right? No having to go out and buy chocolate to melt down. They are surprisingly rich and deeply flavored. They are moist and chewy and oh so yummy. I could finish that plate off all by my lonesome if I let myself. I had some self control; I only ate four. Hahaha!
 
 
Here is a pic of what it should look like just before the eggs are mixed in to give you a little idea of what you're aiming for.
 


Here is the recipe. Enjoy!

Coconut Flour Cocoa Brownies

Ingredients:

  • 1/4 c. coconut oil, or you could use whatever oil you have on hand.
  • 3/4 c. applesauce
  • 1/4 c. water
  • 1 c. granulated sugar
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 2/3 c. cocoa powder
  • 6 eggs
  • 1/3 c. coconut flour
  • 1/2 c. chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
  1. Position rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x9 in pan or cover with parchment paper.
  2. In a medium size bowl, whisk together coconut oil that has been melted and measured out with the cocoa powder.
  3. Then add the water, applesauce, sugar, salt and vanilla.
  4. Add in the eggs all at once and whisk again to combine.
  5. With a rubber spatula, fold in the flour just until incorporated. Fold in nuts, if using.
  6. Spread batter in the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick comes out moist and gooey but not wet, 18 to 20 minutes. Be careful not to overbake the brownies, as they'll toughen. Let them cool completely before cutting.
Blessings.
Pamela

 



No comments:

Post a Comment